Wednesday, June 22, 2011

late afternoon snack



Ice

Frozen raspberries 

Lemon juice

Sugar

Cold River Blueberry Vodka (from Maine)

While I am entertaining the illusion that I am a practicing "lady of leisure" (rather than an unemployed attorney with student loan payments that remind me not to get too caught up in the homesteading/family memoir writing/Baby Boom/Etsy junk shop/personal shopper - alternative career fantasies I go to at least 40 times a day - side note: have you read The Bucolic Plague? I am reading it now - not helping my affliction) ... 


... why not go for a late afternoon cocktail? Quite Mad Men era housewife, no? Except that I have no children  to justify "staying at home" (unless a Boston Terrier counts). Let's bypass the rampant alcoholism and chauvinism that marked the time for a moment, and focus on the fact that here, in 2011, I find myself disappointed that Evan doesn't wish for a cocktail at the ready when he walks through the door after a long hard day at work. And I call myself a feminist!

So rather than whipping up a drink for my breadwinner (and, oh, why not make myself a little one while I'm at it), this is all about me.  


Its a little bit of this and a little bit of that - I couldn't give you the exact measurements. I think there were 5 or 6 ice cubes, a handful of frozen raspberries, juice of one lemon (though it was QUITE tart - I might scale back on that a bit or add more sugar), a tablespoon of sugar and about a two second "splash" of vodka. I put it in a blender, but its so hot right now that it soon turned from smoothy texture to liquid (tasty liquid!)  - so I just added a few more ice cubes to enjoy it on the rocks.






Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment